Pastor Philip Hulzebos
Joined Trinity Staff: April 1995
Areas of Ministry: Senior Pastor
Family: Valonne (wife, married July 2, 1982); Amanda (Husband, Matt Peters), Krista (Husband Rob Sanders), Jonathan & Rhonda
Saved: September 5, 1966
Education: BA Pastoral Ministry, Southeastern College. MA Ministerial Leadership, Southeastern University.
Previous Line of Work: Substance Abuse counselor/Motor Coach Operator
One of the Things I Find Most Fascinating: The fact that so many people view God and His Word negatively and would rather live for the devil.
- Book: Bible and “Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time” by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges
- Food: Steak
- Snack Food: Cake
- Movies: “Passion of the Christ”, “Fireproof”
- TV Show: Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Musical Artist: Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, Michael W. Smith, Lindell Cooley
- Place To Go: Ko'Olina, Hawaii
- Place To Pray: Everywhere…but especially near a body of water.
- Recreational Activities/Hobbies: Golf, scuba diving
- Scripture: Isaiah 40:27 – 31; “Why do you say, O Jacob, and speak, O Israel: ‘My way is hidden from the Lord, and my just claim is passed over by my God’? 28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is un-searchable. 29 He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, 31 But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
- Sports Team: Go Gators!
- Sport: Football
Life Motto: Live on purpose. “Follow me as I follow Christ”
Three People I’d Like to Meet: Jesus, Billy Graham, Ronald Reagan
My Hero: Jesus & My Wife
One of My Greatest Experiences with God: August 4, 1995 Promise Keepers, St Petersburg, Fl.
Most People Don’t Know This About Me: I would absolutely love to fly on the Space Shuttle.
Articles & Resources for Church Workers
Starting a Greeter Program
Four years ago I accepted the challenge of evangelism chairperson for our church. One of the first programs the pastor and I developed was the Sunday morning greeter program.
Motivating the Right Person into the Right Ministry
One of the greatest challenges for most leaders is selecting and motivating the right people into the right ministry positions in hopes of minimizing turnover and frustration. Even in the smaller church with limited personnel, it is important to coordinate people and ministry as much as possible.
“I TRIED, BUT NO ONE EVER CALLED ME”
“I tried, but no one ever called me” are painful words for a leader who has much work to do and not enough people willing to do it. These words are painful for the person who wanted to contribute, but was never called. These are also painful words for a person who is committed to helping people connect and contribute in meaningful ways within the church.